The UBC International Faculty Development Program for Teaching Excellence (IFDP) is designed to support professional development of university professors intended in pursuing excellence in their teaching.
This research-informed, practice-oriented program explores current issues related to curriculum and pedagogy with a special focus on recent development in educational technologies. It offers participants an immersion experience in the Faculty recently ranked 9th in the QS world rankings. A certificate of participation will be awarded.
Download the IFDP Brochure and sample schedule.
- Comparative examination of key assumptions underlying teaching and learning in Higher Education between Canada, Asia and other countries.
- Exploration of contemporary research on teaching and learning in Higher Education.
- Introduction to innovative ideas and approaches to classroom teaching where the instructors model techniques for classroom practice and encourage participants to think about ways to apply these in their own classrooms.
- Guidelines for integrated curriculum designs that develop and sustain students’ academic learning and creativity.
- Investigation of strategies for formative and authentic assessment.
- Introduction to recent developments in educational technology in Higher Education.
The program includes lectures, workshops, microteaching, university classroom observation and school visits.
The instructors have international reputations for their engagements in the professional development of teachers. They have extensive experience working as a team within the Faculty of Education at UBC delivering similar programs.
The IFDP is typically organized over a two-week period. The length of the program can be tailored to the needs of the group.
The cost for the academic program is based on a cohort model, that is, for a group of between 20-25 participants the cost would be approximately CAD$3,000 per participant.
Full catering, accommodation, medical insurance, and local transportation can be arranged for an additional fee.